Position: Production Manager
The Production Manager is directly responsible for the oversight and profitable execution of high quality landscape construction and snow services contracted with the clients. A key responsibility for this position is to ensure that the client’s needs are being met and exceeded on a daily basis. Additionally, and as equally important, is the responsibility to provide leadership to the workforce that will ensure that the company has a highly skilled and qualified workforce which is motivated to meet the operational objectives.
The Production Manager serves as a member of the management team that establishes strategic direction and leadership that enables business success for Sponzilli Landscape Group. Inclusive of this will be to ensure that estimated job direct costs and assigned indirect expenses are set and kept within given parameters. This shall be accomplished through effectively communicating performance expectations to the team and supporting team members to enable them to meet their specific job responsibilities.
The Production Manager shall promote accountability to the company goals of excellence in customer service, profitability, and workforce development.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Promptly resolve issues that may arise
- Provide industry knowledge and information that may be helpful to the crew members
- Promote a mindset of excellence with crew members
- Communicate job expectations to crew leaders
- Communicate directly with Sales/Design team and Administrative staff and provide feedback from the field
- Conduct performance review meetings with crew members
- Provide regular coaching and accountability on company policies for all crew members
- Communicate Sponzilli’ s Mission Statement and Vision Statement to all crew members
- Ensure company new employee orientation program objectives are being met
- Ensures that team members are content in their position and responsibilities and are not in a position that causes danger to themselves or others
- Ensure employees understand and adhere to company training procedures and policies, including ensuring that they fully understand their risk to injury and exposure to hazards on the job.
- Ensure that crew members understand methods to prevent injuries and hazards on the job
- Ensures that all personnel forms, including payroll, employment verification and status changes, are reviewed for accuracy and turned in promptly to the appropriate parties within the company.
- Provide regular training sessions to all crew members
- Promptly resolve employee concerns, conflicts and policy violations utilizing the company disciplinary policy and employee handbook.
Job Cost Management
- Provide input on best production practices for estimating purposes before job is sold
- Review estimates to anticipate accurate labor hours, material costs and quantities and machinery needs
- Purchase supplies and materials at the most competitive price and quality as per the budgeted quantities for each contract
- Ensure that white Production folders are up to date with time sheets, purchase orders, etc.
- Ensure that teams are executing projects at acceptable profit
- Ensure teams actual labor hours are within 3% of budgeted hours
- Ensure teams have the materials and equipment they need to be successful
- Keep track of all subcontractor agreements
- Reviews and confirms billing amounts for all given projects
- Conduct site visits throughout the work day
Communication and Job Scheduling
- Conduct daily scheduling meeting at production board with Sales/ Design team
- Communicate directly with projects Salesperson throughout the day to discuss scheduling modifications, changes to the project, etc.
- Ensure that all paperwork and labor reports are accurate and timely.
- Hold regular communication meetings with crew leaders to ensure their understanding of work assignments and details of job oversight.
- Ensure efficient and timely delivery of materials to yard and/or sites
- Ensures all pre and post job initiatives are adhered to
- Ensure that the job folder checklist is updated
- Schedule subcontractor work
- Communicate directly with vendors
Management Team Participation
- Provide insight and input for improving company systems to maximize profitability and success
- Provide recommendations in each department for growth and development
- Makes recommendations to management team on employee handbook and company policy changes as they arise.
- Serve as an active member of the company management team and provide leadership, communication and guidance
- Provide a positive and professional image on behalf of Sponzilli Landscape Group to clients, Sponzilli employees, subcontractors, vendors, and the general public and ensure assigned teams are doing the same at all times
- Be available and responsive to employees, clients, vendors and others who interact with Sponzilli Landscape Group in business
- Be available every Monday to meet with Sales/Design team to discuss the week’s work and upcoming projects as a group
Tools, Equipment and Fleet Management
- Ensure that vehicles, equipment and tools are being maintained and repaired promptly to reduce down time
- Ensure that the company has safe, qualified drivers with valid up to date driver’s licenses. Keep records updated for employees with the assistance of the HR/Office Manager
- Manage vehicle, equipment and tool inventories and report status to ownership on a periodic basis.
- Ensure that vehicles and equipment are being repaired in a timely and cost effective manner
- Provide Owners with a list of capital equipment needs each year
- Research and make recommendation on the purchase of equipment and vehicles
- Ensure all property damage is reported and repaired in a timely and cost effective manner
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalency
- Horticulture or related Associates or Bachelor’s degree highly preferred
- Field experience in landscape installation / constructions
- Field experience in snow removal operations
- Experience managing a department
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent delegating and follow-through skills
Special Skills and Certifications:
- Strong command of written and verbal English language required
- Bi-lingual Spanish a plus
- Proficient in use of Microsoft applications – Word, Excel, Outlook
- Valid drivers license
- Training course certifications of relating to landscape construction or team management preferred
- Smoke-free vehicles, client property and offices
- Drug-free workplace
- Working in seasonal weather conditions (inclement weather)
- Willingness and able to work 45-60 hours per week.
- Must be willing to travel as required
- Be available at all times to receive phone calls
- Be able to work out of an automobile and always on the go
Compensation & Benefits;
- Competitive Salary
- Medical and dental
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Continuing education opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement for industry-related classes
- Drug-free workplace
- Family-oriented environment