Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
Client: Forest City Ratner Companies
SHoP Architects Stantec Engineering
Developed by Forest City Ratner Cos., with the design-build process by Hunt Construction and a collaboration of several other companies, the center was an enormous undertaking.
Sponzilli Landscape Group’s part in the project included installation of the plaza, the pavers, street trees, the sod plaza at the rear of the arena, and the installation of a steeply slanted green roof on top of the Atlantic Yards subway entrance.
Sponzilli Landscape Group installed an environmentally-friendly landscape including:
- Green roof on subway entrance, sloped 85 degrees, using a special soil retention system to hold both sod and sedum plantings in place
- Plaza streetscape and pavers around arena
- Public lawn areas
- 13,000 sf entrance promenade
4,500 sf subway green roof slope
- Ornamental street trees
18,000 sf rear public plaza
American Hydrotech guardnet slope reinforcement installation
- Drip irrigation system
(14) 4″ caliper street trees and cobblestone tree pits
- 18,000 sf engineered soils and sod at public plaza
Barclays Center was named the ENR New York Insider Best Project of the Year award for 2013 for the New York Region.